Category Archives: Major Assignments
Neuro Paper and Presentation Handouts
Chemistry Common Missing Assignments
Many of you are missing these assignments:
Chemistry HW: Study for your quiz on Wednesday!
I WILL POST THE ANSWERS TO THE PRACTICE QUIZ AT APPROXIMATELY 8PM!
Objectives tested on the quiz:
- Classify matter as a pure substance (element or compound) or mixture (homogenous or heterogeneous)
- Compare and contrast chemical and physical properties
- Compare and contrast chemical and physical changes
- Define and identify states of matter and draw particle diagrams describing states of matter
Here is the document: 10.7 Quiz Practice
Periodic Table Test THIS WEDNESDAY
Your Periodic Table Unit Test is this Wednesday, December 18. The following material will be on your test:
- Explain how properties of elements and the location of elements on the periodic table are related.
- Explain how elements are arranged within the periodic table (valence electrons, atomic size, electronegativity, ionization energy)
- Alkali metal
- Alkaline earth metal
- Transition metal
- Noble gas
- Melting point
- Physical property
- Valence electron
- Lewis dot diagram
- Atomic radius
- Ionization energy
- Shielding electron
- Effective nuclear charge
NEED TO KNOW:
- Properties of metals, nonmetals, and metalloids
- Properties of the 5 periodic families
- Valence electrons, charge, and Lewis dot diagrams for elements in groups 1-2 and 13-18
- Whether atoms will gain or lose electrons depending on their valence electrons
- Explain why each periodic trend occurs in words and draw the trend on a periodic table
- Put elements in order based on their atomic radius, electronegativity, or ionization energy
- Calculate the number of shielding electrons and effective nuclear charge of an atom
- Be able to answer the following questions:
- How are properties of elements and the location of elements on the periodic table related? Use at least 3 examples of properties to support your claim.
- Why do atomic radius, electronegativity, and ionization energy increase/decrease down a group?
- Why do atomic radius, electronegativity, and ionization energy increase/decrease across a period?
Element Project Checklist
Click here: 12.2 Elements Project Checklist
Scientist and Elements Project Descriptions
Scientist Project: 11.26 Minority Scientist Poster Project
Minority Scientists Honors Assignment: 11.26 Minority Scientists Article
Element Project Documents
LAB REPORT DUE TUESDAY!
Your lab report is due by the end of the day on Tuesday. You may email it to me or print it out.
Here is a checklist that will help you edit your lab before you hand it in: Lab Revision Checklist
Here is an honors assignment to complete once you finish your lab: 10.28 Atomic Structure Tutorial
Feel free to send me drafts of your lab. I would be happy to give you feedback before you hand in the final version.
Lab Report Due TUESDAY!
Your lab report is due by the end of the day. Here is the RUBRIC that you need to follow. LIVE IT, LEARN IT, LOVE IT.
Please feel free to send me your lab report this weekend!! I will read it and give you feedback on Monday.
UNIT 2 TEST ON OCT. 16
Your Unit 2 Test is on Wednesday, October 16. I will provide more information at the end of this week.
Save the date!