I WILL POST THE ANSWERS TO THE PRACTICE QUIZ AT APPROXIMATELY 8PM!
Objectives tested on the quiz:
- Classify matter as a pure substance (element or compound) or mixture (homogenous or heterogeneous)
- Compare and contrast chemical and physical properties
- Compare and contrast chemical and physical changes
- Define and identify states of matter and draw particle diagrams describing states of matter
Here is the document: 10.7 Quiz Practice
Your Periodic Table Unit Test is this Wednesday, December 18. The following material will be on your test:
- Explain how properties of elements and the location of elements on the periodic table are related.
- Explain how elements are arranged within the periodic table (valence electrons, atomic size, electronegativity, ionization energy)
- Alkali metal
- Alkaline earth metal
- Transition metal
- Noble gas
- Melting point
- Physical property
- Valence electron
- Lewis dot diagram
- Atomic radius
- Ionization energy
- Shielding electron
- Effective nuclear charge
NEED TO KNOW:
- Properties of metals, nonmetals, and metalloids
- Properties of the 5 periodic families
- Valence electrons, charge, and Lewis dot diagrams for elements in groups 1-2 and 13-18
- Whether atoms will gain or lose electrons depending on their valence electrons
- Explain why each periodic trend occurs in words and draw the trend on a periodic table
- Put elements in order based on their atomic radius, electronegativity, or ionization energy
- Calculate the number of shielding electrons and effective nuclear charge of an atom
- Be able to answer the following questions:
- How are properties of elements and the location of elements on the periodic table related? Use at least 3 examples of properties to support your claim.
- Why do atomic radius, electronegativity, and ionization energy increase/decrease down a group?
- Why do atomic radius, electronegativity, and ionization energy increase/decrease across a period?
Click here: 12.2 Elements Project Checklist